You want to write a book. Yes!
Maybe you have an idea and you just don’t know how to get it going.
Today we chat a bit about finding your writing process! Double Yays!
So many of you have asked, “how the heck did you write a freaking book?!”
“Will you help me write a book?!”
Sure, I can! More Yays to be had!
Here’s a compilation of some suggestions that I personally found helpful in the writing of my own book and hopefully will give you some ideas to help you finally get some words on the page too. Here we go:
Finding your own writing process can take a lot of trial and error. what works for me, may or may not work for you. And that’s totally okay!
FIRST. Get used to the word, REGIMENTED. Blah. Big words. I know.
OMG. More scheduling? Yes. Absolutely. Without scheduling there is no success. (One of my favorite quotes)
I know. Stay with me.
- RISE AND SHINE! – Get up early, Stay up late. Either way, find a time that works best for you, your current scheduling for your life. Oh, and stick to that time. EVERY DAY.
- PLACES, PEOPLE! – Go to the same place to write each day. Going to the same place, (albeit, the couch, the porch, your bathroom, etc.) will eliminate unnecessary distractions.
- PERSONALLY, YOURS! – Personalize your space. Make it yours. Add decorations, or don’t. Light a candle. Or don’t. Add a sequin pillow to your writing chair.
- JOT IT DOWN ALREADY! – Sit and write. This sounds easy. And it should be. But, this is the part that stumps the most. Do NOT worry about mistakes, typos, or if what you’re writing even makes sense. Just do it. This will become your first draft and those are never good. NEVER. So, relax, and word vomit to the page away!
- SCHEMING MATTERS! – Do a bit of research and find out how many words you will want to write in total. What genre and have an idea of the trim size of your book. This will help figure out the time frame in which you want to write your book. Break down the total word count by the amount of days you want to get this baby in the oven.
- ENJOY THE RIDE! – I know it sounds like a lot of ToDo’s so far and it can be overwhelming. Take baby steps. Enjoy the process of each step you take each day toward getting those words down on the page.
- IT’S IN THE CAN! – You’ve finished it. FINALLY! Now, put the manuscript away. Don’t obsess over it. (The hardest part.) Don’t look at it. Just throw it in your sock drawer for a couple of weeks. When you pull it out again for the rewrite, you will have fresh eyes on your book and be able to give yourself some edits before sending it out to an editor to red tape all over your book!
All it takes is LITERALLY a little proactive and consistent action on your part.
..and maybe some new furniture. *wink
Or, maybe that’s just on my wishlist.